Non-dependant deductions

A non-dependant person is someone over the age of 18, who lives in your home with you and your family, and is not in education. A Non-dependant decuction is where the amount of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit you receive will reduce because you have a non-dependent person living in your home.

Who is NOT a non-dependent?

The following people do not count as non-dependents, and will not affect your benefits:

  • carers employed by a charity that charges for the service
  • joint tenants
  • subtenants
  • boarders
  • tenants of owner occupiers

Are their any exceptions?

Sometimes a non-dependent can be ignored from a Housing Benefit claim. Examples include (but are not limited to):

  • a full-time student
  • where the person claiming Housing Benefit is also receiving the middle or high rate Disability Living Allowance Care component
  • has been in hospital for over 52 weeks
  • is in prison

You will not be affected by Housing Benefit deductions if:

  • you are not on the main (income related) phase of Employment and Support Allowance
  • you are on Pension Credit

You will not be affected by Council Tax Benefit deductions if:

  • you are on State Pension Credit, Income Support, Job Seeker’s Allowance (income based), or Employment and Support Allowance (income related)

How much is the deduction?

The amount deducted from your benefits depends on the circumstances of the non-dependent person. For example whether they claim benefits, whether they work more than 16 hours a week and what their gross income is (before tax and National Insurance).

A deduction is made for every non-dependent person living with you, unless you have a cohabiting couple, then only one deduction is made.

The government is increasing the amount deducted for non-dependents for both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, over three years. The first increase was in April 2011 and another increase took place in April 2012.

What can I do if I have a non-dependant person living with me?

It is your responsibility, as the tenant, to make sure the rent is paid. The non-dependent in your household should make up the shortfall in your Housing Benefit, but it is your responsibility to make sure this happens. If you are worried talk to us for advice.