Universal Credit

Universal Credit is the government’s single payment system of benefits for all working-age people. The money will be paid directly to you and you'll need to budget and make sure you pay all your bills. From the 22nd June 2015, Broxbourne Borough Council are rolling out Universal Credit to single people who make a new claim. This will replace income support, income based jobseeker's allowance, income related employment and support allowance, housing benefit and tax credits. 

Find out more by reading the Government's Frequently Asked Questions on Universal Credit.

When are the changes happening?

The move from the current benefit system to Universal Credit will start in October 2013 and will continue until 2017. This means that some people may be getting Universal Credit whilst some may be getting the ‘old’ benefits until everyone is transferred. When you can claim Universal Credit will depend on where you live and whether you are making a new claim or you are being transferred from a benefit that is being replaced - check a timeline of benefit changes.

If you need to start claiming, here is some information on making a Universal Credit claim.

What will and won't be included in Universal Credit?

Existing benefits that will be replaced by Universal Credit are: 

  • Income Support
  • Income Related Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

Benefits that will not be included in Universal Credit:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Bereavement Benefits
  • Disability Living Allowance (replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Contributory Employment and Support Allowance
  • Contributory Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Council Tax Benefit (or, from 2013, its local replacement)
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • State Retirement Pension
  • Statutory Adoption Pay
  • Statutory Maternity Pay
  • Statutory Sick Pay
  • War Pensions

How does Universal Credit work?

It will be paid to you monthly, and will be one month in arrears. It will be paid directly to you and it will be your responsibility to budget and prioritise your bills. This means that you will need to set up a payment plan with us to pay your rent .If you are classed as vulnerable you can have your Housing Benefit paid directly to your landlord. If you do not pay on time you could lose your home. If you are having financial difficulties we will do our best to help, please talk to us.

Government wants to cap or limit the amount of total benefit for a single person or couple so that it is in line with the average wage. This is currently £500 a week for a couple and £350 a week for a single person. For more information read our page on the Benefit Cap.

I need help

Our Income and Welfare team are able to offer free financial advice. We will help with:

This service is FREE and CONFIDENTIAL to B3Living residents - call the team on  0800 107 0713 or email:

If you've never had to manage a monthly budget before why not look into "jam jar" accounts? These are accounts where your money is split between different "jars" to make sure your most important bills get paid automatically. HertSavers Credit Union have their version of a ‘jam jar account’. It is called a Managed Payment Account. There is a £2 per month account fee and a £25 account set-up fee BUT if you set up the account and give us a call we'll pay these for you.